The adventure begins...

I am starting this blog as a way to share with my friends and family this new adventure that I am on as a presenter for Rachel's Challenge.  For those of you not familiar with how I came to be connected with RC, I guess that's a good place to start.

On April 20, 1999 two students at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado murdered twelve students and a teacher.  I was 21 years old and in youth ministry, so I was glued to my television as the tragedy unfolded and in the days that followed as stories emerged.  A few images in those early days of the Columbine story jumped out at me:  a red car in the parking lot which quickly became a flower-covered shrine, and a packed funeral with a white casket and a never-ending line of people writing messages to the person whose body was inside.   That car and that casket belonged to a seventeen year old girl named Rachel Joy Scott.

Rachel's car
In the weeks and months that followed, I began to learn more and more about this young woman.  As a youth pastor, the stories of her strong faith immediately jumped out at me.  Her friend Richard, who had been with her when she died and barely survived his own wounds, said that in her last moments of life she had been confronted by Eric and Dylan about her faith and stood strong, before becoming the first student killed that day. Rachel was also an actress, a friend to the friendless, and she kept six diaries which opened a window into her soul and revealed a woman wise beyond her short years on this earth.  Somehow God had prepared her heart for living a short life, but assured her that her life would touch millions.  Like Anne Frank who inspired her, Rachel's words and her story have indeed outlived her and touched millions of lives, including my own.   I could go on and on telling you the amazing stories from those diaries, the stories from those who knew her and whose lives were touched by her, but we would be here for many weeks.  I invite you to click on the links below or visit rachelschallenge.org if you'd like to learn more.

Rachel's teacher signs her casket
A few months after Columbine, I met my future wife. Early on in our relationship, I shared Rachel's story with her, and we agreed that if we were ever blessed with a daughter, we would name her Rachel Joy in honor of this amazing young woman.  On July 3, 2005 when our firstborn child was born, it was our great honor to name her Rachel Joy Mowery.  I was privileged to begin an occasional correspondence with Darrell Scott, Rachel's father, who over the years delights in receiving updates on our Rachel Joy, one of at least twenty he knows about around the country.  In my fourteen years of student ministry, Rachel's story became a regular part of my messages on standing strong, showing kindness, loving others, and following Jesus with our whole heart.

When I began to write music, I knew early on I would want to share Rachel's story through song.  The third verse of one of the very first songs I wrote, Martyrs Song, was written about her.

She was only seventeen, but she was wise beyond her years
She placed her hope in things unseen and denied her human fears
"I'd gladly give my life for Jesus" friends would often hear her say
And when it happened one April morning, Rachel gave her life away

Rachel Joy Mowery
In the years that followed, Rachel's family wrote books that told even more of her story:  Rachel's Tears, Rachel Smiles, and Chain Reaction.  The last book was based on an essay that Rachel wrote for a class just a few weeks before her death.  In the essay, which was entitled "My Ethics, My Codes of Life" Rachel challenged her readers to start a chain reaction of compassion and kindness.  Beyond that, Rachel's family encountered a number of students who shared their stories of how Rachel Joy had shown them kindness and compassion when nobody else had.  It is that essay and those stories that form the basis for Rachel's Challenge.

I first learned about RC in the years following Columbine but it was only in the past few years that I fully realized the incredible things that were happening around the world through this organization.  Here's an excerpt from rachelschallenge.org:

More than 21 million people have been touched by Rachel's message, and they continue the legacy of making a difference in their communities.  Each year at least 2 million more people are added to that number.  These are just a couple of the results of Rachel's Challenge.  In one survey, 78% of students indicated they would definitely intervene in a bullying incident in their school after seeing Rachel's Challenge.  In the last 3 years, Rachel's Challenge has received nearly 500 unsolicited emails from students stating that after hearing Rachel's story they reached out for help as they were contemplating suicide.  Some even state that "Rachel saved their life."

Rachel Joy Scott (1981-1999)
Having known so much of her story, and now finding out more about the life-changing legacy of Rachel's Challenge, I knew I just had to be a part of this organization in some way.  Back in March of this year, I contacted RC about any openings in the organization.  I was told that the deadline to submit a video audition was just weeks away, so I quickly memorized the script, recorded the presentation, and dropped it in the mail on the very last day possible.  A few weeks later I found out that I was one of ten finalists for just three positions as a seasonal presenter.  Everyone around me seemed much more confident in my chances than I was, but I studied and rehearsed the script, and waited patiently for the day when I auditioned and interviewed through skype with Rachel's dad and stepmom and members of the RC leadership team.  The next few weeks were agonizing as I waited for news.  Finally, the call came - right when I was running sound for a funeral at church (so I couldn't answer the call) - but I listened to the message and I was indeed selected!  The more time goes by, the more I shake my head that God has blessed me in such a way that I can be a part of an organization that is making a huge difference in the lives of young people by sharing and honoring the legacy of one of my heroes in this life.

In a few weeks, I'll be flying to Colorado for a week of training for this incredible opportunity.  I'll get to meet the Scott family face to face, visit the place where Rachel's earthly life ended and where she was laid to rest.  I am so unbelievably excited and nervous and still slightly in disbelief that I get to be a part of Rachel's amazing, ongoing story.  I hope to continue sharing my experiences here, because I have no doubt the next few months are going to be life changing.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.



My song written to honor Rachel:





See more about Rachel's Challenge here:







This video below is a first in a series featuring Rachel's dad telling a much more in depth story about Rachel, her diaries, and her amazing legacy.

Comments