Friendly fire

Since I first started working on my family tree, I'd always known that my great grandfather Thomas Whittaker had a nephew who was killed in World War II.  Harry Sylvester Wilson was born August 27, 1924 in Niles, the son of Earl an Ida Whittaker Wilson.  He was the second of five sons and a daughter born into the family.

In February of 1943, Harry joined the Army as part of E Company, 114th Infantry Regiment.  The 114th was a part of the 44th Infantry Division.  After training in Louisiana and Kansas, the unit was shipped to Massachusetts before they went overseas and entered France in the summer of 1944.  They saw combat for the first time in October of that year.  They fought in numerous engagements and on November 17, 1944 liberated the town of Avricourt, France.  It was on that date, according to military records, that Pvt. Wilson was killed in action.  He was just twenty years old.

E Company, 114th Infantry Regiment before deploying overseas
That was all I ever knew about the circumstances surrounding Harry's death.  Aunt Ida's family moved to Cambridge, Ohio and, at least in my lifetime, we had not had contact with them.   I really wanted to know more about what happened to my cousin, so I started to do some research.  I came across a website dedicated to the 114th Infantry and posted my email address looking for information.  A few years ago I was contacted by a man who was a part of E Company and had kept a diary during the war.   He was in a different platoon and didn't know Harry, but said he'd written about Harry's death in his diary.  A week or so later I received a copy of the diary in the mail and finally, for the first time, learned the details of my cousin's death.

It turns out that on the day of the assault on Avricourt, US Artillery units were shelling the German positions when one of the shells hit a tree above Harry's position.  The explosion sent fragments of shrapnel and wood into Harry and several members of his platoon, including the Lieutenant in charge.  The others survived, but Harry died of his wounds.  He was killed by friendly fire.  It would be five years before his body was brought home from France and reburied at what was then known as Union Cemetery in Niles.

Pvt. Harry S. Wilson's grave in Niles City Cemetery
I don't know if my Aunt Ida ever knew the details of how her son died, but I think she probably did.  What I do know is that the tragedy of Harry's death seemed much more painful when I learned it had been friendly fire.  The circumstances made his death seem especially sad.  Ever since that day I have made it a point to take my children to Harry's grave so we can honor his sacrifice, and remember that our freedom isn't free.

Today on Memorial Day, I was thinking about the concept of friendly fire.  As I said, it's especially tragic when injuries or deaths occur in war as the result of mistakes or confusion on the part of friendly units.  In life, there are few things more frustrating or preventable than attacks from "friends."    It's especially true in the church, but it's just as true in any relationship, workplace, family, etc.   The very people who should be the first ones to support us, defend us, be there for us when we're struggling or in times of need...they're often the ones who take the first and most deadly "shots" at us.

Before you agree with me in righteous indignation...let me point out we're ALL responsible for friendly fire at one time or another.  Every one of us.  Someone messes up in a way we claim we NEVER would...and we're the first to condemn them.  Usually not to their face, of course.  We talk about it to someone else.  We never try to understand, we never offer them the help and support they need to recover, and we pat ourselves on the back for not being "like that."    Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely a time and a place to confront people about their mistakes, about their sin.  But it should always be done with an attitude of love and forgiveness, and with a desire to help that person, never to hurt them or to make ourselves feel better...and it's never supposed to be done by gossiping or complaining to someone else.  That is tragic, and it's wrong.  In Ephesians chapter 4 there are two very clear points the author makes:  1) stop sinning, and 2) stop tearing down and attacking people who sin.

Saying thank you to Pvt. Wilson.
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.  “In your anger do not sin.”  Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.   Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.   Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.   And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and  compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.  - Ephesians 4:25-32.

Statistics show that 21% of casualties in World War II were the result of friendly fire.  In Vietnam it was 39%.   In Iraq it was 41%.  In the church, and in life, those numbers are far higher.  This Memorial Day, please join me in making a commitment to building up those around us, and to never letting them become a victim of our careless words and deeds.  Our nation is blessed to have had so many who laid down their lives for our freedom.  Let's not abuse the freedom of speech by using it to hurt those around us who need us the most.  I'd like to think Harry Wilson died for more than that.

Comments

  1. Chris, do you have a file I could expand of E co? My Grandpa was 1st scout in 1st platoon. I just wrote a post about their time at Schalbach, check it out.

    https://craftandbattle.com/2018/04/01/142/

    ReplyDelete
  2. *the picture of E co before leaving I mean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment